Friday, July 9, 2010

A Summer Without Sunshine!

It’s been cool, cloudy, and drippy for months now, and we are well into July! This is the first time our once lovely Muskogee Crape Myrtle has ever had mildew on it! I said 'once lovely' because last summer the city contractor 'trimmed' it, and I use the term 'trimmed' very lightly as they really butchered the daylights out of it, but that is another story for another day. Just the other day I remarked to my wife that I was thinking about writing a book called “The Summer Without Sunshine….a true saga of Southern California”....so here is a blog entry with the same title! Anyhow, can anyone tell me when the “global warming” is supposed to start?????? Look on the bright side though, we are saving tons of $‘s not running the air conditioner and not having to water the plants and lawn (oops, a dirty word anymore) so much this summer. My controller is still set at 30% of the normal summer watering times!

Oh, and another benefit of the cool weather…our Avocado tree doesn't have any Persica mites on it this year! Probably the first time in about 10 years that there are no mites on the foliage. Also, the orange tree doesn’t have any of that ugly leaf miner yet this summer. Maybe they come a little later in the season. They are fairly new so I don’t have their schedule down pat yet.

A downer however are the gorgeous Plumerias. They don’t have ANY flowers yet. They usually start blooming about mid June in my back yard, but all the flower buds are still very small and tight. Even if we get a sudden rush of normal summer weather, it looks like it will take the buds about 2 to 4 weeks to grow enough to make some beautiful flowers! Bummer!!!!

See you next time,

Ron, the Plant Man


No comments: